þþ History îî
It is more than 600 years old and belongs to the Uttaraamnaaya Badari tradition of
sanyasin order tracing its origin to Sri Shankara Bagavadpada and his deciple
Historical records relating to the kingdom of Vijaynagar (14th/15th Centuries)
throws light on the origins of the Math. Around 1378, Jagadguru Seo Satyatheertha left
Badari and came down south in search of a place where he cound continue his dharmic
activities undisturbed. He selected Bandigadi (now Shakatapuram) in the Koppa Taluka of
ChickMandlore District. Initially the place was called 'Munoyoor' as the 'Muni'[Pending
link] settled down there. The Brahmanabdapurana refers to Shakatapuram as the place where
the sage Shakata attained salvation through penance. The Math when set up by Jagadguru
Sathyatheertha waas called 'Muniyoor Math'
Sathyatheertha installed an idol of Sri Lakshminarayana on the banks of the river. The
place is now called 'Champika'. Ther precise date by which the idol was shifted to the
present Math at Shakatapuram (100-200 mts from Champika) isnt known. The Vijayanagar Kings
generously endowed the Math with large areas of land, which of course in due course
of time has been reduced to a bare acre or too.